The TCU men’s tennis team lost 4-3 against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Saturday at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center.
“I felt like they just competed better than we did, so I want to congratulate Coach [Steve] Moore for getting them through that match,” head coach David Roditi said.
The Frogs opened strong by securing a sweep in the doubles match. Junior Slah Mbarek and sophomore Soren Goritzka defeated TAMU-Corpus Christi junior Robert Raguz and sophomore Nathan Robinson 8-2. To clinch the point, junior Daniel Sanchez and senior Zach Nichols defeated Andrew Maingot and Alex Pavlov 8-4.
Senior Chis Price said he couldn’t play in singles play with a hamstring injury.
“Honestly, it’s just really tough, but we’ll bounce back; we’ll turn it around,” Price said. “I don’t really have much to say, it’s just kind of sad right now.”
Price and Emanuel Brighiu, TCU’s No. 55-ranked senior duo, remain undefeated in doubles this season after overcoming senior James Langford and senior Laurent Montoisy in the tiebreaker set, securing the sweep with an 8-7 (14-12) win.
Senior Cameron Nash defeated sophomore Gergo Weindinger in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4, and Frogs’ senior Zach Nichols secured the final singles point for the Frogs by defeating Raguz 6-1, 3-6, 6-3.
With wins in two other matches, the Islanders tied the team score at 3-3.
The overall victory fell into the hands of Brighiu and the Islanders’ Montoisy. Brighiu came up short in the opening set tiebreaker, 7-6 (7-5), but took the second set 6-4. Brighiu appeared to be closing out the match with a 3-lead in the final frame until Montoisy came back from the deficit to win the set 6-4.
“I’d be lying if I didn’t say that I was disappointed,” Roditi said. “The things that we haven’t been taking care of in practice came back to bite us today. So we’ll learn from it, and it’s a long season and hopefully we can make the most out of this loss.”
The Frogs will hit the road for the first time this season to take on Wichita State on Friday and No. 35 Tulsa on Sunday.
Complete match results:
1. Laurent Montoisy (TAMUCC) def. Emanuel Brighiu (TCU) 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 6-4
2. James Langford (TAMUCC) def. Soren Goritzka (TCU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
3. Zach Nichols (TCU) def. Robert Raguz (TAMUCC) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
4. Aurelien Tave (TAMUCC) def. Slah Mbarek (TCU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
5. Cameron Nash (TCU) def. Gergo Weindinger (TAMUCC) 6-3, 6-4
6. Matt Westmoreland (TAMUCC) def. Santiago Centeno (TCU) 6-2, 6-3
1. No. 55 Emanuel Brighiu/Christopher Price (TCU) def. James Langford/Laurent Montoisy (TAMUCC) 8-7 (14-12)
2. Slah Mbarek/Soren Goritzka (TCU) def. Robert Raguz/Nathan Robinson (TAMUCC) 8-2
3. Daniel Sanchez/Zach Nichols (TCU) def. Andrew Maingot/Alex Pavlov (TAMUCC) 8-4
Complete match results courtesy GoFrogs.com