Seniors earn Lady Frogs’ 84-71 victory over New Mexico

Frogs’ senior guard Emily Carter and senior guard/forward Helena Sverrisdottir both scored over 20 points Saturday in leading TCU to an 84-71 decision over New Mexico at the historic Pit.

With the win, the Horned Frogs moved to 20-9 on the season and 12-3 in the MWC. Overall, the Frogs won for only the second time in The Pit in program history.

The Frogs were led by Sverrisdottir who scored a game-high 24 points on 6-of-11 shooting, including 4-of-7 from deep. Carter chipped in with 22 points, going 9-of-13 from the field and 4-of-6 from behind the three-point arc. Fellow senior Rachel Rentschler was the only other Frog in double-figures with a season-high 11 points on 4-of-7 shooting.

The physical contest, which featured nine ties and nine lead changes, was played behind the three-point arc Saturday. The two teams combined to make 26 three’s, which ties the previous MWC record for most combined triples made in a single-game. TCU and Iowa State combined to make 26 three’s earlier this season at the Paradise Jam.

The Frogs, who shot 54.5 percent from the field Saturday, went 12-of-21 from deep for 57.1 percent, which ranks No. 9 all-time in 3-point field goal percentage in a single-game in program history. By making 12 three’s, TCU posted the fifth-most in school history in a single-game.

In the second half alone, the Frogs shot over 65 percent from the field, while connecting on 62.5 percent from behind the arc. Not to be outdone, the Purple and White were almost perfect from the charity stripe as well, going 12-of-14 for 85.7 percent Saturday.

New Mexico, who went 14-of-37 from deep, was led by Lauren Taylor, who posted 17 points on 6-of-13 shooting, including 5-of-12 from deep. Both Morgan Toben and Porche Torrance each added 15 points apiece, respectively.

By making 14 triples, UNM made the fourth-most in a single-game all-time against the Frogs. The Lobos 37 attempts were the second-most in a single-game, trailing only Fresno State, who fired 41 in 2008.

Carter started the second half just like she did the first, nailing a three from the left side of the floor. Sverrisdottir then drilled a trey during the early portion of the second half to give TCU a 43-37 lead at the 17:49 mark of the period.

New Mexico continued to battle though, going on an 8-0 run to jump out to a 45-43 lead until Sverrisdottir scored on a runner. A few moments later, Micah Garoutte found the bottom of the net on a fade away to tie the game back up.

Another triple from Rentschler gave TCU a 55-50 lead, but the Lobos nailed a three of their own to move within two. A couple of back-and-fourth possessions took place, but Carter took over, scoring four-straight points to give TCU a 64-59 lead at the 8:45 mark of the game.

With TCU up 68-61 with a little over 6 minutes to go in the period, the two teams once again traded three’s with UNM’s Caroline Durbin and Sverrisdottir both drilling it from deep.

The Lobos cut the TCU lead to three at the 4-minute mark, but that was as close as they would come as the Frogs were able to run out the closing minute for an 84-71 victory.

The Frogs jumped out to an early 7-3 lead with Carter doing most of the damage, scoring five of the Frogs’ first seven points. UNM tied the game at 9-9 a few moments later, nailing back-to-back treys.

The two teams continued to trade three’s with a little over 14 minutes to go until UNM darted out to a 16-12 lead at the 13:49 mark of the first half. Overall, Garoutte and Carter scored all 12 of TCU’s points during the early portion of the period.

Sverrisdottir and Briesha Wynn, who scored back-to-back buckets to make the score 21-17 in favor of UNM halfway through the first half, halted a 12-3 run by the Lobos. The Iceland native then stole the rock and found a streaking Carter, who scored on a fast-break layup. Carter’s bucket was part of an 8-0 run for the Frogs, which results in a 21-21 tie at the 9:35 mark.

Rentschler made it a 29-27 game at the 5-minute mark of the half, scorching UNM with two-straight three’s. Sophomore Starr Crawford then tied the game at 29-29, scoring on a running layup. Crawford’s bucket was part of another 8-0 run for TCU.

Sverrisdottir’s fade away as the time expired in the first half gave the Horned Frogs a 37-35 lead at the break.

TCU will return home next Wednesday night for a 6:30 p.m. contest against Air Force. Wednesday’s outing will mark senior day at Daniel-Meyer Coliseum.