Men’s golf continues play at John Hyat Collegiate Invitational
Senior Scott Roudebush led the TCU men’s golf team Monday through a tough scoring day during Round 2 at the John Hayt Collegiate Invitational at Sawgrass Country Club. The tournament concludes today.
The Frogs, who shared the team lead with Auburn following day one action at -6, combined for a 16-over-par 304 Monday to slip back into a tie for fifth place at +10. Auburn still leads the tournament at +1 following a tough day of its own. Live results for the tournament are available on Golfstat.com.
Lady Frogs defeat Lobos, 84-71
Emily Carter and Helena Sverrisdottir both scored over 20 points Saturday in leading TCU to an 84-71 decision over New Mexico at the Pit.
With the win, the Horned Frogs moved to 20-9 on the season and 12-3 in the MWC. Overall, the Frogs won for only the second time in The Pit in program history.
The Frogs were led by Sverrisdottir who scored a game-high 24 points on 6-of-11 shooting, including 4-of-7 from deep. Carter chipped in with 22 points, going 9-of-13 from the field and 4-of-6 from behind the three-point arc. Fellow senior Rachel Rentschler was the only other Frog in double-figures with a season-high 11 points on 4-of-7 shooting.
No. 5 TCU equestrian falls to No. 8 Baylor, 7-5
Frogs’ junior Victoria Lee and senior Kelsey Huffman both claimed MVP honors Sunday, but No. 5 TCU dropped a 7-5 decision to No. 8 Baylor on the final day of competition at the fifth annual Best in the West Tournament.
The Horned Frogs, who moved to 5-3 on the season, lost a hard-fought 3-3 decision in Hunt Seat, falling to the Bears in overall points, 463-415. TCU won Equitation over Fences, 2-1, but could only manage one point in Equitation on the Flat Sunday at Fresno State’s Student Horse Center.
No. 47 men’s tennis defeats Wichita State, 5-2 Monday
The No. 47 Texas Christian Horned Frogs defeated the Wichita State Shockers, 5-2 on Monday afternoon in Tulsa, Okla. The match was originally scheduled for Feb. 5 in Wichita but was postponed due to poor weather in the Metroplex.
1. Emanuel Brighlu (TCU) defeated Vlad Marinescu (WSU), 6-4, 6-1
2. Slah Mbarek (TCU) defeated Matheus Periera(WSU), 6-1, 6-2
3. Christopher Price (TCU) defeated David Cavalcanti (WSU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Zach Nichols (TCU) defeated Patrick Stiebinger (WSU), 6-1, 6-2
5. Valentin Mihai (WSU) defeated Daniel Sanchez (TCU), 6-3, 6-2
6. Guillermo Nicol (WSU) defeated Santiago Centeno (TCU), 6-2, 6-0
No. 47 men’s tennis loses to No. 38 Tulsa Sunday
The TCU men’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision to No. 38 Tulsa at the Case Tennis Center Sunday. The No. 48 doubles team of Emanuel Brighiu and Christopher Price picked up its highest-ranked win of the season.
1. #40 Marcelo Arevalo (TLS) def. Emanuel Brighiu (TCU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
2. #94 Ashley Watling (TLS) def. Slah Mbarek (TCU) 6-1, 6-1
3. #114 Clifford Marsland (TLS) def. Christopher Price (TCU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. #117 Japie De Klerk (TLS) def. Zach Nichols (TCU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Daniel Sanchez (TCU) def. Grant Ive (TLS) 6-4, 6-4
6. Alastair Barnes (TLS) def. Cameron Nash (TCU) 6-2, 6-4