TCU leads 28-0 over SMU at half


TCU is leading 28-0 at the end of the first half in a sloppy contest against the SMU Mustangs.

The TCU defense began the game by stopping SMU on three plays. The Frogs’ defense would sack SMU quarterback Garrett Krstich three times and allow 147 total yards in the first half shutout.

Quarterback Trevone Boykin scampered for a 27-yard touchdown on TCU’s second offensive play, giving TCU a 7-0 lead with 12:34 remaining in the first quarter.

The Horned Frogs have scored a touchdown on the opening drive of all three of their games this season.

The SMU defense made a goal-line stand on TCU’s next possession, stopping three rushing attempts from the 1-yard line before Boykin threw an incompletion on fourth down.

The Horned Frog defense forced a third consecutive 3-and-out on SMU’s next possession.

TCU kicker Jaden Oberkrom missed his first field goal of 2014 on a 45-yard attempt with 2:24 remaining in the first.

The first quarter ended with TCU driving and the score still at 7-0.

Running back B.J. Catalon juked into the endzone for the second TCU touchdown of the day two minutes later to give the Frogs a 14-0 lead.

The 9-yard run was Catalon’s third rushing touchdown on the season.

TCU’s defense forced another 3-and-out on the next possession, but the SMU punter scrambled for a first down and kept the drive alive.

SMU drove all the way down the field to the 1-yard line, but the TCU defense stopped the Mustangs on four plays and forced a turnover on downs.

The Mustangs were one yard away from their second touchdown of the season.

The TCU offense took over at the 1-yard line and traveled 99 yards on 11 plays to increase the score to 21-0.

Junior wide receiver Deante’ Gray caught a shallow crossing route and outran everyone for a 28-yard touchdown reception from Boykin.

SMU nearly scored on its next possession when SMU receiver Darius Joseph was upended on a 6-yard reception, rolled off the TCU defender, and ran down the sideline for a score.

However, after a review the referees decided Joseph’s elbow had touched the ground, and the touchdown was negated.

Boykin and the Horned Frogs took one minute to score the final touchdown of the first half on the Horned Frogs’ last possession.

The junior quarterback capped a 6 play, 70-yard drive with an 8-yard run up the middle.

The half ended with TCU leading SMU, 28-0.