Team loses to rival, scores 3 against UTSA

The soccer team recovered from its 2-0 loss Thursday night to the SMU Lady Mustangs with a 3-0 win Saturday against the UT San Antonio Lady Roadrunners.Thursday’s shutout by SMU was the second straight game where TCU failed to score, but the Lady Frogs (5-5) ended their scoring drought on a first-half goal against UTSA.

SMU junior midfielder Krystal Bailey scored the opening goal on a lofted free kick by sophomore midfielder Melissa Schieda as the clock whittled to 30 seconds remaining in the first half.

Head coach Dan Abdalla said a lack of focus in and around the net caused TCU to concede the goal.

During the second half, TCU outshot SMU 5-4 as they maintained physical play on the field; however, TCU couldn’t get past SMU’s 6-foot sophomore goalkeeper Ashley Gunter, who finished with five saves.

“It’s always one touch too many or a little high or a little soft,” freshman forward Lizzy Karoly said.

With five minutes remaining, SMU widened its lead over TCU to two goals as SMU senior striker Olivia O’Rear beat senior goalkeeper Katy Buchanan on the left post.

A revamped TCU offense outplayed a young UTSA squad Saturday for their first shutout of the season.

Karoly, who ended a five-game scoreless streak, knocked in two goals and added an assist against UTSA to help her earn her Mountain West Conference Offensive Player of the Week honors.

Karoly wasn’t the only freshman rising to the occasion Saturday night as goalkeeper Kelsey Vross, who made her first start in front of a home crowd, finished with three saves and a shutout.

“I had been waiting the whole season for the thrill of a night game,” Vross said.

TCU took the lead as freshman midfielder Michelle Nguyen hooked up with Karoly in the 24th minute. Karoly took Nguyen’s pass and unloaded a shot into the upper righthand corner of the net.

With 10 seconds remaining in the first half, TCU had a chance to widen the margin on a penalty kick, but UTSA freshman goalkeeper Rachel Francis denied the chance.

“I was frustrated after the penalty kick because I had been making all those shots in practice this week,” Karoly said. “I’m glad to have gotten the other goal to make up for it.”

The second half had TCU preserving its 1-0 lead under Vross’ leadership.

“I was keeping the backs organized so they couldn’t shoot,” Vross said.

Karoly added an insurance goal for TCU with just under 12 minutes remaining as she dribbled through a swarm of Lady Roadrunners and sneaked a shot past Francis.

“I was doing my best to get my body in front of them and draw a foul or at least get a shot off,” Karoly said.

Another minute later, the Horned Frogs struck again putting the finishing touches on UTSA. Karoly assisted senior forward Kelsey Glass, receiving her first goal of the season.

“We played with more bite in the final third of the field,” Abdalla said.

Karoly’s two goals tie her for the team lead with four on the season.

“Tonight felt great because I haven’t had much luck with my shots lately,” Karoly said. “It was good to finally get a result.”

Junior midfielder Lauren Pope, who Abdalla said will undergo surgery, supported her team from the sidelines Thursday. The extent of her injury has not been released.

Pope sustained a leg injury against the Sam Houston State Bearkats Sept. 15.