Exhaust fumes trigger alarm at GrandMarc

A fire alarm sounded Tuesday afternoon at the GrandMarc because a car in the basement of the parking garage was emitting excessive exhaust fumes, said Marcus Martin, resident services manager for the GrandMarc. Nobody was injured by the fumes.

Retail customers and people inquiring about renting GrandMarc apartments are the only people allowed to park in the basement of the parking garage, he said.

Martin said he did not know how long the car was in the garage before the alarm sounded, but it was gone when the firefighters arrived. Firefighters arrived two or three minutes after the alarm, Martin said.

Authorities turned on exhaust fans in the parking garage after the alarm sounded, and they do not know how long it took the fans to clear the garage of smoke.