Medical Examiner’s results pending for student death

Updated at 4:39 p.m. Jan. 19.

Test results to determine the cause and manner of death of a 20-year-old female student found dead in her off-campus residence are pending, according to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office.

“We don’t have any published information at this time,” said Linda Anderson, public information officer for the Medical Examiner’s Office.

Toxicology tests are being conducted, and it would take anywhere between four to six weeks before results are given back, Anderson said. The Medical Examiner’s Office won’t release any information until all tests are complete, she said.

Fort Worth Police are investigating the death of Amanda Bebout, whose body was found at her residence near campus at about 8 p.m. Monday on the 2800 block of Lubbock Avenue.

Sgt. Chad Mahaffey, Fort Worth Police public information officer, said preliminary findings indicate no signs of a criminal assault or homicide, but the investigation is ongoing.

“Our homicide investigators are conducting a complete death investigation as is the case with all (unattended) deaths,” Mahaffey said.

Police responded to an emergency call at 8:07 p.m. at a residence in the 2800 block of Lubbock Avenue and arrived with emergency units shortly after, according to a police incident detail report about the emergency call. Emergency Medical Service staff entered the residence, but did not bring an awaiting stretcher inside.

According to the incident report, the woman’s roommate told police that she had found her roommate with duct tape over her mouth. However, Mahaffey wouldn’t answer reporters’ questions regarding those reports because he said it was an “evidentiary question.”

Don Mills, vice chancellor of Student Affairs, told the Skiff late Monday night that earlier reports that the woman was found with duct tape are false.

“There was some duct tape; she was not bound with duct tape,” Mills said. “Police and the medical examiner both told me that there’s no criminal investigation. It’s just so sad and tragic that we would lose someone from our student community. It’s hard for students to comprehend, and it’s hard for us, too.”

TCU Police Chief Steve McGee referred questions about the investigation to Fort Worth Police.

“If foul play had been suspected, TCU Police would have issued a crime alert as soon as possible,” McGee said.

Wayo Dorsey, the landlord of the residence, said he had never had any incidents with the leaseholders.

Mahaffey said the woman’s family tried to contact the woman throughout the day Monday, then asked roommates to check up on her. A roommate called police reporting that the woman was unresponsive.

Junior strategic communications major David Western, who lives next door to the house where the body was found, said he was on his porch when a woman ran out of the house and frantically asked him what had happened during the weekend.

Police arrived a short time later, he said.

Students began a Facebook group titled “Prayers for Amanda Bebout,” which has more than 2,400 members. Friends and acquaintances have posted messages of sympathy on the group’s wall.

Editor-in-chief Julieta Chiquillo contributed to this report.

Check for updates.