52° Fort Worth
All TCU. All the time.

TCU 360

TCU 360

All TCU. All the time.

TCU 360

Prom Dreams Boutique offers a wide variety of prom and formal dresses. (Haylee Chiariello/Staff Photographer)
Prom Dreams Boutique ministry supports high school students
By Haylee Chiariello, Staff Writer
Published Apr 20, 2024
Step into Prom Dreams Boutique, where every girl finds her dream prom outfit for free, making unforgettable memories accessible to all.

Winners of the “I Love the TCU Library” competition announced on Valentine’s Day

The Mary Couts Burnett library announced the winners of the “I Love the TCU Library” competition Tuesday in commemoration of Valentine’s Day.

According to the library website, students submitted “love testimonials” last week describing why they love the library and how it has contributed to their academic success.

Students wrote letters on heart-shaped cards placed at the entrance of the library, Shelda Dean, library Marketing and Publications staff member said.

Senior neuroscience major Jessica Polasek won first place and said she felt great about winning.

Polasek said she wanted to write about the library because of the amount of time she spent there.

“85 percent of my college time has been in the library and the other 15 percent has been elsewhere,” she said.

With graduation around the corner, Polasek said she enjoyed the opportunity to show gratitude to the place that has created many memories for her during her college experience.

“It’s a really nice way to put a cap on a senior year,” she said.

The winners were chosen based on creativity, sensibility and fun, Dean said.

From reading love letters submitted for the competition, Dean learned the many reasons why students loved the library.

“They like to study, they like quiet places, the loud place, the computers, the bistro,” she said. “We’ve just had a lot of positive response.”

For senior biology major Marilyn Mootz, participating in the competition was a great way to break the routine of classes and homework.

“When I heard about this competition, I was excited to do it,” Mootz said. “I like doing artsy projects as an escape from studying so I wanted to infuse my art and creativeness into it.”

Dean said the competition is one of the many new ways she is trying to engage students since taking on the Marketing and Publications position, a new position created by the library administration, last year.

Since last year, Dean said the library administration has partnered with the athletic department to create the Read campaign last spring, updated library publications, changed the TCU logo and has begun updating the library website. They were also working towards communicating with students through social media like Facebook, and have provided students with the new option of texting a librarian with queries and concerns.

Dean said she thought the” contest was a success, and predicted it would become an annual event.

She said she hoped hosting events like the “I Love the TCU Library competition helped students not just benefit from the library, but enjoy it as well.

“We want the library to be a fun place,” Dean said. “Not just a study place and a nerdy place, but a fun place,”

More to Discover