TCU closes at 11 a.m. Friday


Update Feb. 28, 2:45 p.m. 

Market Square will close from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. in order to prepare for dinner Saturday, according to an email sent by Mike Russel, assistant vice chancellor for student affairs. Dinner will be served from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. 

Chick-Fil-A is open and will close at midnight. Russel said in the email that other retail operations will stay open as long as they can.

The Parachute concert is still happening Saturday at 10 p.m. in the Brown-Lupton University Union Ballroom. 

Update 1:35 p.m.

According to an email from Russel, Market Square will follow a similar plan to the rest of this week. It will close between 3 and 5 p.m. to prepare for dinner. 

The BLUU and the Multipurpose Building are set to close at 2 a.m. and open at 7 a.m. tomorrow. Market Square will open at 10 a.m. tomorrow. 

Other dining options will open when there is enough staff, Russel said in the email. 

Original post, 10 a.m. 

With up to two inches of snow expected on Friday in Fort Worth, campus is closed until at least 5 p.m. Saturday evening. 

Amanda Schroeder, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Fort Worth, said the winter weather should continue to last into Saturday morning.

“There will be periods of snow today but tonight it should transition into a wintry mix and then into a freezing drizzle,” Schroeder said.

Schroeder said to expect rain for the rest of the weekend after the wintry precipitation ends.

The National Weather service is forecasting a high of 35 degrees with a 60 percent chance of a wintry mix or rain for Saturday, and a high of 53 degrees with a 40 percent chance of rain for Sunday.

The ice and sleet earlier in the week forced the university to be closed all of Monday and delayed the opening until noon on Tuesday. The snow on Wednesday and Thursday, however, did not force any university closures or delays.

TCU sent out an alert just before 10 a.m. Friday announcing that the university will close at 11 a.m. due to snow accumulation. 

This is the third consecutive day that the campus has experienced snowfall. It is also the fourth time in five days that winter weather has hit campus this week, as the university experienced ice and sleet on Monday.