80° Fort Worth
All TCU. All the time.

TCU 360

TCU 360

All TCU. All the time.

TCU 360

The Skiff Orientation Edition: Welcome, Class of 28!
The Skiff Orientation Edition: Welcome, Class of '28!
By Georgie London, Staff Writer
Published May 13, 2024
Advice from your fellow Frogs, explore Fort Worth, pizza reviews and more. 

Suspended football players could face up to 20 years in jail

An encounter lasting less than a minute and a case of Keystone Light beer could end up costing two suspended TCU football players two to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

Senior defensive end Michael Tuaua and redshirt freshman wide receiver Andre Petties-Wilson were arrested Monday on the charge of robbery-bodily injury. Robbery-bodily injury is a second degree felony under the Texas State Penal code.

The two men also face charges of violating TCU’s University Code. Neither has played or practiced with the football team since being suspended Sept. 7.

Patterson said the men were not allowed on campus the week of Sept. 7. They were allowed to return to classes the following week, but could not attend any football activities.

TCU released a statement Monday outlining what the process is for students charged with violating the the student code: “A judicial hearing on the matter is held. A panel of faculty and staff members reviews the case and the student is given an opportunity to respond to the allegations. The panel then decides by a preponderance of evidence whether a violation of the University’s code has occurred. If a student is found in violation, a sanction is applied. The student is afforded the opportunity to appeal before a final decision is rendered. Judicial hearings for students are protected information under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.”

Head football coach Gary Patterson didn’t mention Petties-Wilson, but he did speak about Tuaua’s character.

“You’ve sat here before and you’ve never, ever heard me speak up for a kid when he screwed up,” Patterson said. “But you did now.”

Patterson called Tuaua a great motivator and a source of spirit.

The two players posted bail bonds Monday night. The district attorney’s office must now decide whether or not to prosecute them, Sergeant Steve Enright of the Fort Worth Police Department said.

More to Discover