70° Fort Worth
All TCU. All the time.

TCU 360

TCU 360

All TCU. All the time.

TCU 360

TCU alumni connect with each other at Guy Fieri’s Dive & Taco Joint in downtown Kansas City, Missouri. on Friday Oct. 7, 2022. (Photo courtesy of Tristen Smith)
How TCU's alumni chapters keep the Horned Frog spirit alive post-grad
By Addison Thummel, Staff Writer
Published May 11, 2024
TCU graduates can stay connected with the Horned Frog community with alumni chapters across the nation.

Fort Worth officer still in critical condition, suspect charged

A Fort Worth police officer remains in critical condition at JPS Hospital as details emerge of the chase and confrontation that left the officer wounded by gunfire.
Officer Matthew Pearce, who has been on the force since 2009, was shot multiple times Tuesday afternoon after stopping Ed Russell McIver Sr., 42, and his son, Ed Russell McIver Jr., 20.

McIver Sr. was shot to death during the stop. McIver Jr., 20, faces charges that include criminal attempt at capital murder, evading arrest, drug possession and unlawful carrying of a weapon.
Police said the incident began around 2:30 p.m. when fugitive officers in plain clothes and unmarked vehicles spotted the pair around Interstate 30 and Hulen Street. They called for patrol officers to assist, according to a Fort Worth police press release.
McIver Sr. was wanted for multiple felony warrants, including aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, family violence and multiple bail jumping warrants, according to police.
According to Parker County records, McIver Sr.’s arrest record had 41 charges dating back to 1991. These include three counts of assault, six counts of livestock theft and four counts of burglary of a building. He also had been charged with speeding five times and fleeing a police officer twice.

McIver jr mugshot
McIver Jr.’s mugshot.

McIver Jr. had no criminal record in Parker or Tarrant County prior to his arrest Tuesday.
Police said when they approached the pair on Tuesday, the McIvers fled in a silver Ford Escape. The car chase lasted about 15 minutes before ending in the 400 block of Longvue Avenue. The two then fled on foot into a wooded and muddy area, according to the press release.

During the foot chase, shots were fired. Pearce and McIver Sr. were hit. McIver Sr. died at the scene, according to police.
While Pearce was airlifted to John Peter Smith Hospital, tactical teams coordinated with state and federal agencies to find McIver Jr. He was found hiding in thicket around 6:3o p.m. Police said he had a rifle.

A Go fund me page has been set up for Officer Pearce by his family.

More to Discover