No. 13 TCU football rallies to beat No. 8 Oklahoma State in double overtime

TCU students storm the field after the Frogs take down Oklahoma State 43-40 in Fort Worth, Texas, on Oct. 15, 2022. (Photo courtesy of

By Dru Kennedy, Staff Writer

No. 13 TCU erased a 17-point deficit to defeat No. 8 Oklahoma State 43-40 in double overtime on Saturday. The Horned Frogs are the only undefeated team remaining in the Big 12 Conference.

Sophomore safety Bud Clark’s first career interception came with seven minutes left in the fourth quarter. After being down by 14, it shifted the momentum in the Frogs’ favor.

The next time the Frogs got the ball, senior quarterback Max Duggan found senior tight-end Jared Wiley twice during a 94-yard drive, which resulted in the game-tying touchdown at 30-30 with 1:57 remaining in regulation.

During the first overtime period, both teams traded touchdowns, with junior wide receiver Quentin Johnston scoring on a 25-yard touchdown pass for the Frogs.

Oklahoma State got the ball to start the second overtime, but TCU’s defense forced them to settle for a field goal.

The TCU offense responded with a 12-yard run by Duggan that set them up for the game-winning touchdown. Junior running back Kendre Miller sealed the game with a 2-yard touchdown run, finishing the game with 104 yards rushing on 22 carries.

Head coach Sonny Dykes said it best.

“That was one heck of a win,” Dykes said.

The Frogs went down early in the first half after Oklahoma State quarterback Spencer Sanders ran for two touchdowns in the first two drives of the game. The Cowboys jumped out to a 24-7 lead over the Frogs with five minutes remaining in the first half.

It was the first time the Frogs trailed for that long this season, but the team proved resilient. Duggan credited the mindset of the team for their confidence in coming back from the deficit.

“It shows the culture of the team,” Duggan said. “Always believing in each other and the coaches.”

Miller shouted out the students who kept the energy throughout the game.

“I just want to thank y’all for coming out,” Miller said. “[the student section] never once gave up on us, they stayed and believed in us. I say they played a big part in getting us the victory today.”

The Frogs made history in more ways than one during Saturday’s game. It’s the first time TCU has won three straight games over a top-25 opponent and the student attendance record was broken again at 6,224. The overall attendance was No. 2 in TCU’s history at Amon G. Carter Stadium.

Attendance increases have started to be a trend with this squad.

TCU is now 6-0 for the first time since 2017 and Dykes is just the second head coach in program history to win his opening six games.

Up Next

The Frogs will take on Kansas State at home next Saturday at 7 p.m.